Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Tiffany's Going Back to School!

Yep, you read that right. I am going back to school. I am finally going to get a degree in Statistics!

I will be attending Utah Valley University starting August 20th.

I'm pretty much all set to go, just waiting on UVU to process a couple more documents that I've submitted (transfer credits and a financial aid request form.) We met with my advisor yesterday morning to figure out which classes I should take this semester and to remove a hold on my account. I am signed up for a math refresher workshop that happens the week before classes start since it's been more than 2 years since I've taken math classes. It's 3 days long and there's no tests or grades. I am also registered for Calculus I, Statistical Methods, and Contemporary Families. That last one is a possible requirement as my advisor didn't think the global requirement will be met with my transfer credits since BYUI classes don't completely translate. (She said there were two possible things that my AS degree from BYUI would likely not have included compared to their AS degree--Physics for Scientist & Engineers I and their Global Intercultural Requirement, which is a whole list of classes you can choose from to meet that. I have chosen the family studies class that meets that requirement because my background is in family studies so I know it's something I would enjoy.) I will be taking the Physics class & lab the following semester since the pre-requisite is Calc I.

I am still a little in shock that my 3 classes are equivalent to 12 credits. I am used to 12-14 credits being 5-6 classes. Hopefully this allows me to really focus on calc since I know that's the class I will need to dedicate more time to as it's not something that comes very easy to me.

Sometime between now and the start of my refresher workshop Ethan and I will be taking public transportation from our area to UVU so I can figure out my route. (UVU ID's come with a free UTA pass!) I've looked up the routes and it appears I will need to take the train, then transfer onto a bus to get there as well as get back. So I will likely go with Ethan to his work and catch the train since it's right by the station. There isn't a route that takes me close to our apartment, so when I'm done for the day I will have to take the bus and train back to FamilySearch and wait for Ethan to finish work.

My advisor suggested I look into getting a job in the UVU math lab or as a math grader. I've done both jobs at BYUI and loved them, so I will be looking into that as soon as I post this.

I'm pretty excited for this new adventure! I've been begging Ethan to let me go back to school since we moved down here, but nothing worked out (either because there wasn't a stats degree, meaning I'd have to settle a second time, or because it was too costly.) UVU came very unexpectedly and really just fell into place immediately. It's been an answer to my constant prayers. I was very close to accepting to settle a second time and just finish my Marriage & Family Studies degree at BYUI online because nothing had been working out. I'm also incredibly nervous to take math classes after 3 1/2ish years. But again, my prayers were answered with this refresher course.

So here's to hoping I'll have a good first semester back at it!



No comments:

Post a Comment